Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Update breaks final cut server

Well, go figure, the update of awesomeness that is supposed to fix everything no problems ended up breaking things. Go figure.

Yesterday I submitted a project for upload just as I was leaving, thinking it would run overnight. Welp, no such luck.

FCSvr stopped creating video proxies for the uploaded footage and left me in the lurch. What good is having video in there if you can't view a preview.

The old e_sum_param error which no one has ever heard of didn't really help me troubleshoot compressor.

That was last night and the reason I was late for dinner.

However this morning, with a clear head and a stick-it note left by me on monitor saying "check server" I checked the server and found the problem.

During the update it changed the render cluster to nothing. Nothing was selected for that. This morning I changed it to "this computer" and just like that, proxy heaven.

Now I don't have any idea what I really told it to do. I think I said rather than sitting there wondering where you should be rendering this, go ahead and use your own cpu and get 'er done.

A lifetime of closed fist button mashing has prepared me well for my FCSvr admin duties...Just keep pressing buttons and restarting things until it works or you've really, really, really broken it.

No comments: