Saturday, August 15, 2009

How to make video play smoothly on video wall

Well I think I finally cracked it. Forty plus renders down the line it's a good old-fashioned codec that saves the day.
I've been struggling to get video to run smoothly on our quad screen setup. It has been dropping about half the frames. It turns out that good ole MPEG 2 is the winner for rendering 2560x1440 smoothly at 30 frames.

Everyone just scales 1080p, but I don't want to do that. We're compositing a bunch of photos with the video and I don't want them scaled I want them at 1:1 pixel mapping. It's really quite dramatic.

I was starting to feel like there is a reason that nobody does it that way, the reason being that it doesn't work. But now I know it works with MPEG2. 35megabit MPEG2 works like a charm.

1 comment:

scavbh said...

Which graphic card are you using to make your video walls ; I remember there were some graphic cards out there inthe market which could divide an image or video onto multiple display devices to create a "video wall" .Are there any still available?

The best display device for fabricating a video wall is NEC MultiSync - X461UN