Monday, December 15, 2008

How little things with Final Cut Server ruin your day

The day was going along pretty well today until I decided to do a small tweak on FCSvr.
I'm freeing up room on our expensive drives by archiving to cheap drives.

That was going just fine. What happens is it copies the file from the main media drives, on to the archive device, checks that it is there, then deletes the file from the main media drive.

Worked like a charm until inexplicably it started refusing to delete from the main drive.  That's weird I thought. But then, considering who uploaded the video, I thought to myself "weird stuff always comes from his computer...probably his fault" 

So as a nascent server admin I immediately blamed a user. It felt really good to do that. Unfortunately it didn't help me.

So I updated the xserve to the lates pro-app and OS upgrade. The server hung during the update, so I pulled the power on it and plugged it back in. It's one of those moments where you pause and think to yourself, this will either work, or I won't see much of my family this week.

It worked. Still couldn't delete though.

Finally I called up the folders on the media drive and compared them to others and sure enough, the permissions weren't set right.

FCSvr is an admin. admin did not have read/write permission on those rogue folders.  Problem solved. Change permissions and it works like a dream. Even better I still get to blame the user because they created the folders in the first place so it is probably their fault.

 Score.

No comments: